Unemployment Benefit for New Immigrant in Canada

Unemployment benefits also called unemployment insurance or unemployment compensation. In Canada, unemployment benefits is a program where government or authorized bodies make payments to their citizens who are without jobs

Unemployment Benefit for New Immigrant in Canada

Are you a new immigrant to Canada? If so, you’re probably wondering how to apply for and get an unemployment benefit from the government if you lose your job. The good news is that it’s easier than you might think, but there are certain things that you need to know about filing your claim. In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits available to you as well as how the process works, so that you can file the claim confidently when it comes time to do so. Remember, this isn’t something that should be ignored

Unemployment in Canada which also know as unemployment insurance  or unemployment compensation.

This program payments are made available also to immigrants not working but living in Canada. In many countries, unemployment benefits are funded by their government through the insurance system. That’s why it’s referred to as unemployment insurance benefits.

Unemployment benefits ensure that many citizens/immigrants who are unemployed through no fault of their own can be assisted financially so that they’re able to survive. Thus, the unemployment benefits serve as temporary financial assistance while these set of people search for new employment opportunities.

In this article, you will learn how unemployment benefits works, how to check your eligibility for unemployment benefits, and how to apply for it.

Lack of Employment for New Immigrants

So often, new Immigrants in Canada are faced with lots of barriers, and these barriers come between them and many job opportunities. Because of their lack of employment, they require considerable financial help in other to maintain a livelihood.

Unemployment benefits for new immigrants in Canada pays unemployed new immigrants living in Canada. a substantial amount that can help them till they get a job.

Currently, the government of Canada makes payments to any immigrant who has lived in Canada for up to four years. And becomes a Canadian citizen and has lost his/her jobs an unemployment benefits of up to $2000 per month.

You may be wondering; who pays for unemployment insurance? Well, the unemployment benefits program is funded by taxes the government collects from employers, including state taxes. The employers pay these taxes on behalf of their employees.

How do I get unemployment benefits?

You need a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) and be registered for Employment Insurance. To register for EI, you will need to complete form EI-1, which is available at any Service Canada Centre or online. However you can also visit a Service Canada Centre with your immigration documents to find out what other forms you may need, as well as information on how long it takes for EI coverage to begin. If you are eligible for EI, your first payment will be made within 28 days of registering.

However, if you live in Quebec and are not working under a federal program, such as through Human Resources Development Canada or Service Canada’s Foreign Workers Program, then there are additional steps involved in getting unemployment benefits. For more information about these requirements, please contact Quebec’s Ministère de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale (MESS).

Is there a time limit on collecting benefits?

There is no time limit for receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits. However, you can only receive regular EI benefits for a maximum of 50 weeks. If you are eligible for long-tenured workers, you may be able to receive benefits beyond 50 weeks. You must accumulate enough insurable hours and have paid into EI over an extended period of time before being eligible for these extra weeks. In addition, there is also a waiting period that applies to all new applicants. The waiting period is based on how much insurance you have accumulated since your last claim or how long it has been since your last EI payment. For example, if it has been two years since your last claim or payment, then you will need to wait two weeks before receiving any. benefits.

How much are benefits?

Unemployment benefits vary widely depending on whether you are receiving them under provincial or federal rules. Generally, if you have worked a certain number of hours over a period of time (usually 6 months) and can prove you were fired without just cause, your employer will pay into your insurance fund.

If you qualify for unemployment, they will then cut a cheque to help support you while you search for a new job. The amount varies from province to province, but is usually between 40-60% of your salary.

This money is taxable income however, so be sure to factor that in when deciding how much money you need to live off each month. For example: $1000/month after taxes = $750/month pre-taxes; $750 x 0.4 = $300/month net benefit received.

Unemployment Benefits for New Immigrants in Canada

There’re different unemployment benefits that new immigrants can enjoy. However, these are common;

  1. Unemployment Regular Benefits 

Unemployment regular benefits provide regular benefits to individuals who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, including newcomers in Canada. For example; many people lose their jobs as a result of work shortage or mass layoffs.

This means that they can work but can’t find a job. More so, Immigrants who are unable to get a job can apply for unemployment benefits for new immigrants in Canada 

  1. Unemployment Insurance Sickness Benefit 

Unemployment Sickness Benefits provides 15 weeks of Financial Assistance if immigrants are unable to work due to medical reasons. In addition, Immigrants get up to 55% of their earnings when they apply for this benefit. However, to apply for this benefit you’ll need to get a medical report to show that you’re unable to work.

For example, illness injury quarantine or any medical condition that stops you from working. This not be much of an issue for anyone who has a medical/health issue that stops them from working.

Are there any special rules for new immigrants or temporary foreign workers?

As a new immigrant, you’re treated like anyone else you have access to EI and must meet all of its requirements. For example, if you worked outside of Canada before coming here, you’ll need to have a total of 910 hours (roughly 14 weeks) under your belt before applying for EI. Make sure you keep track of your hours! There are no special rules for new immigrants or temporary foreign workers. They can qualify for EI, just like any other worker in Canada. To qualify, you must have contributed to EI for at least one year, either through employment or self-employment. You may not receive EI benefits if you do not meet all of these conditions .

However, your Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) coverage is unaffected by receiving EI. If you want to continue your WSIB coverage while receiving EI, be sure to register with ServiceOntario as soon as possible after arriving in Ontario. Also, be aware that if you were eligible for unemployment insurance when working abroad, you may be subject to waiting periods when claiming EI from Canada.

Am I eligible if I have been living in Canada less than one year?

In order to be eligible for Employment Insurance (EI), you must have accumulated at least 910 hours of employment during your qualifying period. If you have been living in Canada less than one year, then you would not be eligible. It is possible to receive a maximum of 55 weeks of EI over a two-year period if you move from province-to-province or country-to-country and are new arrivals in that region. You may also qualify for maternity/parental benefits under provincial programs. Contact Service Canada or visit their website to learn more about eligibility requirements and how to apply.

Am I eligible if I am out of the country?

If you have been working and paying into CPP for at least 2 years, you will be eligible for EI if you become unemployed as a result of leaving your job or losing your job through no fault of your own. You must be unemployed for more than 12 consecutive weeks in order to receive EI. If you are out of country when that happens, whether it’s because of relocation or otherwise, it won’t affect your eligibility. How much am I entitled to?: The amount of money you can receive depends on how long you worked and how much money you earned during those years. In general, you may qualify for up to 50% of your average weekly earnings (AWE) while you were working. Your AWE is calculated by dividing your total income from employment by 52. For example, if you made $2,000 per week over the last 26 weeks before you became unemployed then your AWE would be $104 per week ($2,000/52).

Am I eligible if I have moved provinces or territories?

The first thing to determine is whether you are eligible. If you have moved provinces or territories within Canada, you may still be eligible for benefits. In order to receive your provincial benefits, however, your most recent employment must have been with an employer that falls under that particular province or territory’s jurisdiction. For example, if you lived and worked in Ontario but then moved to British Columbia, you would not be eligible for EI as long as your last job was outside of BC. However, if your last job was in BC and it fell under BC jurisdiction (for example: a government job), then you would be able to collect EI while living and working elsewhere.

Am I eligible if it is hard to find work where I live?

If you live in a region of high unemployment and there are no jobs available where you live, you may be eligible for EI regular benefits. In order to qualify, you must have worked 600 hours or more over a period of six months (in any one-year period) prior to your claim. If you’re from Quebec, check out Revenu Québec’s guide on unemployment insurance eligibility.

Am I eligible if my language skills are weak?

If you’re an immigrant, your chances of getting an unemployment benefit are slim. In order to get unemployment benefits, you must be proficient in one of Canada’s official languages. If your language skills are weak, it will be very difficult for you to find a job and qualify for unemployment benefits. If you can’t speak English or French, find a way to learn before applying for unemployment benefits because otherwise they could end up being useless. One option is to enroll in an adult education program that offers classes in your native language. Another option is to find work that doesn’t require proficiency in either English or French. Although unemployment benefits won’t help you make ends meet while looking for a new job, it does provide some financial support until you get back on your feet.

How can an employer get involved with my claim process?

Upon applying for employment insurance benefits, individuals will receive an initial decision on their claim. This initial decision is based on information that they have provided. If they disagree with their initial decision, they can contact Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218 and request a reconsideration. An employer can be involved by providing more information about why it believes an individual is unable to work or did not apply for other types of income supports before contacting Service Canada.